Monday, August 07, 2006

Friendship day

Suddenly, by a number of dazzling wishing emails in the mailbox, I was awakened to the fact that either today or yesterday had been what they called the Friendship day. Friendship, being the nicest of all relationships, and very importantly because of its universal applicability in all human relations, surely need to be observed, experienced, cherished and as well understood, maybe not for just one day, perhaps every moment you live. Let us not go into any stormy discussions on the usefulness of isolating a specific day to observe a universal quality such as friendship. Rather, let me take this opportunity to remind you of one of the most famous songs written in memory of a friend.

Andrew Goodman was killed at the age of 23, allegedly by the members of the white supremacist organization Ku Klux Klan in 1964, while fighting for the civil rights of the black population in Mississippi, "the most totalitarian state of the US". Note that Goodman was himself a white. He was once a school mate of Paul Simon's. The song below by Paul Simon is an ode to his memory. BTW, happy friendship day to you too.


He Was My Brother

He was my brother
Five years older than I
He was my brother
Twenty-three years old the day he died

Freedom writer
They cursed my brother to his face
Go home outsider
This town's gonna be your buryin' place

He was singin' on his knees
An angry mob trailed along
They shot my brother dead
Because he hated what was wrong

He was my brother
Tears can't bring him back to me
He was my brother
And he died so his brothers could be free
He died so his brothers could be free.

5 Comments:

Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Nice to find someone who knows the more esoteric Simon numbers. It isn't all that famous, sadly enough.

I like your blog. You (unlike me) have the knack of not writing too much. Kudos.

J.A.P.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger Akash said...

J.A.P,

Many thanks for the kind words. However, I'm not a music buff, at least not as much as the knowledge of this relatively unpopular number by Paul Simon leaves an impression of. Just a freak one, which I came to know through one of my genuinely music loving friends, somehow took deep root in my mind, perhaps because of the associated story.

True, that I, alas, cannot give my blog the proper attention it deserves. Nevertheless, I spare no effort to peek into others' spaces and steal their thoughts, ideas, opinions etc. to enrich mine, almost regularly. Needless to say that you are one of them. You have a style of writing very much your own that, allow me to add, I like.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 9:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I contemplate the collection should acquire more info then it has.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 5:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Placed a heavy pinpoint the top quality of your respective content. In case you are composing too many, and you feel that your good quality is struggling due to the amount, slow. There is absolutely no shame in basically taking the time to publish an excellent report, regardless of whether this means you won't be posting as many as you are used to. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Appenffk8dti[/url]

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter script